Being an avid golfer living in the New York area, I’ve been able to play a lot of different golf courses. The unfortunate thing about being a golfer in New York City is that many of the courses are private facilities and traffic getting to any course is no fun. The below list highlights some of the best public golf courses in New York City. I chose courses within 45 minutes because that is how far I am willing to drive on an average day to play a regular weekend round of golf.
1) Bethpage Black – Farmingdale, NY – 45 Mins from City Center – Bethpage State Park, a mecca for public golf in New York features five 18-hole regulation golf courses including the world-renowned Black Course, which was the site of the United States Open in 2002 and 2009, the Barclays in 2012 and 2016, the PGA Championship in 2019, and will host the Ryder Cup in 2024. Approximately 300,000 rounds are played annually on the five courses at Bethpage, all of which start from the Clubhouse area. The Green, Blue, & Yellow Courses have Weekend rates of $43. Greens Fees for residents on the Red Course on Weekends are $48 and the Black Course is the most expensive at $75. If you are from out of state, the greens fees are much more expensive and you will most likely need to sleep in your car to get a tee time on the black course. Learn more about Bethpage.
2) Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point – Bronx, NY – 27 Mins from City Center – In the heart of the Bronx sits the 18-hole, Jack Nicklaus Signature Design course at Trump Golf Links. Nicklaus says that “Ferry Point was created to be a unique public golf experience and it is our collective hope that the golf course will enhance New York’s reputation for quality golf and give its proud residents a place to play and call home.” NYC’s only tournament-quality course takes advantage of dramatic and spectacular views of the Manhattan skyline, East River, and Whitestone & Throgg’s Neck Bridges. It was handcrafted at every angle and exceeds the vision that was outlined by not only Donald Trump, but by Jack Nicklaus, the City of New York and every golf rater that has visited the property. For a NYC resident, 18 Holes on the weekend will set you back $185.00. Learn more about Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point.
3) Patriot Hills – Stony Point, NY – 45 Mins from City Center – Prepare yourself for an unparalleled golfing experience. Patriot Hills gets high praise on our list of the best public golf courses in New York City because this course is very fair and is a pleasure for golfers of any skill level to play. Patriot Hills will challenge you while providing a relaxing, picturesque backdrop. Test your accuracy with their fairways, water hazards and sand traps; they have everything you need to challenge you and improve your game. All in all, their goal is to provide you with a quality experience that includes exceptional service and a comfortable atmosphere. For Stony Point Residents you can get on for a Weekend rate Before 1PM for $53. Learn more about Patriot Hills.
4) Marine Park – Brooklyn, NY – 30 mins from City Center – Marine Park Golf Course is an 18-hole Championship public golf course that is open year-round. This links-style course was designed in 1964 by world renowned architect, Robert Trent Jones, Sr. It boasts panoramic water views, country club quality greens and fairways, and beautifully manicured driving range and practice areas. Four sets of tees make for a fun yet challenging day of golf for people of all ages. Play the course from the forward tees at 5,200 yards or as far back as the championship tees measuring over 7,000 yards, making it the longest of all the public golf courses in New York City. While there are few trees, the challenges come from the unmowed berms, fast greens, and strong winds coming off Jamaica Bay. 18 holes will cost you $51.00. Learn more about Marine Park.
Dont have time for 18 holes? Learn about the best driving ranges in New York City
5) Mosholu Golf Course – Bronx, NY – 26 Mins from City Center – Mosholu Golf Course, founded over a century ago as one of the first public golf courses in New York, has enjoyed a renaissance in recent years with the complete reconstruction of its 9 hole layout in 2007. Among the best conditioned municipal courses in the area, its rolling fairways and contoured greens provide the perfect golf experience for both beginners and experts alike, with a friendly atmosphere where you can bring the entire family. Their 20,000 square foot putting green, chipping area and driving range also provides a place to warm up before you tee off, or to hone your skills for your next time out on the links. In addition, it is the most convenient golf course to get to for residents of Manhattan, Bronx and lower Westchester – located just steps from the Woodlawn stop of the 4 Train and just a few hundred yards from Exit 13 off the Major Deegan Expressway. Residents will pay a modest $37.75 for 18-holes. Learn more about Mosholu.
6) Preakness Valley – Wayne, NJ – 41 Mins from City Center –Founded in 1892, Preakness Valley Golf Course is one of the first 100 golf clubs to be established in the United States. The golf course is situated in the Preakness Valley Park on 377 acres and shares the property with the historic Dey Mansion. The Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders have made it possible for Preakness Valley Golf Course to host the county’s high school golf teams matches and tournaments. It also serves as host to the Passaic County Amateur Championship held in June. Weekend Residents of New Jersey will pay $62.00 & Weekend Non-Residents will fork up $68.00. Learn more about Preakness Valley.
I hope this article helps you learn more about the best public golf courses in New York City. Given the climate in New York can often be cold and sometimes rainy, check out this article for the best places to play indoor golf in New York if the weather is not looking great.