King’s BBQ Restaurant is founded on family. More than 75 years ago Frank King built a country store and filling station in front of his Kinston, NC farm to help provide for his. When Frank’s son Wilbur started serving food from the country store’s pot-bellied stove, he never dreamed his Eastern North Carolina-style BBQ, his family’s homemade sauce and Southern recipes would be enjoyed by BBQ lovers in all 50 states, Canada, Mexico and the U.S. Virgin Islands!
King’s BBQ Restaurant began in 1936 when Frank King moved his family to a small one-horse farm and built a country store/filling station in front of the farm to supplement his income. Wilbur King Sr. took over running the store in 1938, adding a poolroom and a pot-bellied stove in the back, and the first King’s food operation was born. Pool players ate makeshift meals by heating up canned goods from the country store on the stove.