Arbella Insurance tries to add an approachable, neighborhood touch to home and auto insurance coverage for New England residents. By working with a local network of independent insurance agents and maintaining six claims offices in the region, Arbella policyholders may be able to receive personalized customer service when they need insurance the most.
Average premiums for home and car insurance are significantly cheaper than the national average
Personal auto and home insurance only available in Massachusetts and Connecticut
Local independent agents are available for in-person assistance and may be ideal for those who need personalized service
Scored 1.34 in the National Association Of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) consumer complaint index, indicating complaints are slightly higher than the average
Founded in 1988, Arbella first opened in Massachusetts before expanding to Connecticut, Rhode Island and New Hampshire. Although the company offers both personal and business insurance, only homeowners and car insurance are sold in Massachusetts and Connecticut. For those who want a local touch for their insurance needs and are able to bundle multiple policies, Arbella Insurance may be worth a look.
Arbella car insurance | Bankrate Score: Unrated
Arbella car insurance includes coverage options specifically tailored toward drivers in Massachusetts and Connecticut. The company offers many of the standard insurance coverage options found with most insurance carriers, but also offers some add-on features that drivers in snowy states may appreciate. This includes a snowplow endorsement, which provides coverage with a $200 deductible for a snow plow installed in a vehicle. Other coverage options and limits are also available. Arbella also offers optional gap insurance, accident forgiveness and personal property coverage for items left inside the vehicle.
To find the best car insurance, Bankrate reviews dozens of car insurance companies. We analyze each average annual premium from Quadrant Information Services as well as policy features and discounts. We also consider a company’s rating from third-party agencies, such as AM Best and J.D. Power, for financial strength and customer satisfaction. The higher a company performs in each of these categories, the higher their overall Bankrate Score, for a maximum score of 5 out of 5. Because there is limited information available for Arbella car and home insurance, it did not receive a Bankrate Score.
Arbella car insurance cost
Car insurance premiums with Arbella are generally more affordable than the national average. A full coverage car insurance policy with Arbella is $1,427 per year. The average cost of car insurance throughout the nation is $1,674 per year for the same amount of coverage.
*16-year-old rates reflect the added cost to their parents’ full coverage car insurance policy.
Arbella car insurance discounts
Finding the cheapest car insurance can be accomplished through discounts. Arbella offers different car insurance discounts depending on whether you reside in Massachusetts or Connecticut. Some discounts opportunities include:
- Military discount: If you are an active military member and deployed more than 100 miles away from where your vehicle is garaged, you may be eligible for a 10% discount off your car insurance. This is only available to Massachusetts residents.
- Student away at school discount: A young driver who is still on their parents’ car insurance plan may qualify for this discount if they attend university over 100 miles away and do not take the family car with them. This is available to both Massachusetts and Connecticut residents, though the discount amount may vary.
- Hybrid or electric vehicle discount: If you drive one of these energy-saving vehicles, you could earn an additional discount on your car insurance. This is only available to Massachusetts residents.
Arbella car services
In addition to personal auto insurance, Arbella also offers motorcycle insurance, as well as commercial auto insurance for vehicles used for business.
Arbella home insurance | Bankrate Score: Unrated
Finding the best homeowners insurance policy may depend on each company’s policy options. Arbella home insurance is fairly standard compared to other carriers in the home insurance industry, with fewer options for add-on coverage. However, those who are in need of home and auto insurance may find that Arbella’s affordable rates become even more so. The company advertises that those who switch and bundle their insurance may be able to save up to 20% or more off their insurance premiums.
To round out your homeowners insurance with Arbella, the company also offers identity theft coverage, including a Home Cyber Protection policy to cover computer attacks, stolen personal information and even cyberbullying through smart phones, computers and other electronic devices at home. Homeowners may also be interested in the Home Systems Protection and Service Line coverage, which extends some coverage for repairs or replacement for breakdowns with home systems, such as a furnace or central air conditioning.
Arbella home insurance cost
Arbella home insurance is also fairly competitive compared to the national average. For a homeowners policy with $250,000 in dwelling coverage, the average premium with Arbella is $1,039 per year. This is a few hundred dollars cheaper than the national average cost of homeowners insurance, which is $1,312 per year for the same coverage.
Dwelling coverage limit
Average annual premium
National average annual premium
Arbella home insurance discounts
Similar to its auto insurance, Arbella may offer different discounts for home insurance depending on the state to help build the cheapest home insurance policy. These discounts include:
- New home credit: If your home is less than 10 years old, your home insurance policy could qualify for up to 20% in premium savings. This is available in both Massachusetts and Connecticut.
- New business discount: By being a new policyholder with Arbella, your policy could qualify for up to a 7-10% discount, depending on which state you live in.
- MAHA Workshop discount: If you are a first-time homebuyer in Massachusetts and attend an Affordable Housing Alliance Workshop, you could qualify for a 10% discount on your home insurance for two years.
Arbella home services
Arbella has partnered with Mass Save to give homeowners a 5% discount on their home insurance and an opportunity for more discounts and rebates from other program sponsors. To participate, homeowners must participate in an in-home energy assessment that will be shared with their insurance agent.
Other Arbella Insurance perks worth considering
In addition to home and car insurance, Arbella also sells the following insurance products:
- Renters insurance: As a renter, renters insurance could provide protection for your belongings, as well as loss of use and liability coverage.
- Condominium insurance: As a condominium unit owner, this policy will provide “walls-in” coverage for your home.
- Mobile app: Policyholders with Arbella were already able to manage their policies online through the MyArbella portal, but the company launched a mobile app in 2021 to allow customers to do the same on their phones and tablets as well.
Arbella Insurance social responsibility
Through its Arbella Insurance Foundation, the company has donated more than $33 million to New England charitable organizations since 2005. This continued even in 2020, when the agents, employees and independent agents donated $2.6 million to 650 nonprofit organizations.
Food security is also one of Arbella Insurance Foundation’s priorities. For 12 years, it has donated funds to soup kitchens, food banks and more. In 2020, the foundation donated $257,000 to local food pantries through its Let’s Drive Out Hunger and Give Food x3 programs.
Not sure if Arbella Insurance is right for you? Consider these alternatives
- First Chicago Insurance Company: If you’re moving to or residing in the Midwest or Texas, First Chicago might be worth a look for affordable car insurance.
- Electric Insurance: Another Massachusetts-based insurance carrier, Electric Insurance offers an array of discounts for its car and home insurance policies.
- Ohio Mutual: This company offers a long list of coverage options for home and auto insurance, and might be ideal for those who want to have their insurance handled all in one place.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverage that meets each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2019 Toyota Camry, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
Age: Rates were calculated by evaluating our base profile with the age 16 (base: 40 years) applied. Depending on age, drivers may be a renter or homeowner. Hawaii rates indicate age is not a contributing factor.
Incidents: Rates were calculated by evaluating our base profile with the following incidents applied: clean record (base), single speeding ticket and a single DUI conviction.
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $150,000, $250,000, $350,000, $450,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $15,000, $25,000, $35,000, $45,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $75,000, $125,000, $175,000, $225,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $30,000, $50,000, $70,000, $90,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes will differ.