Can You Use Restaurant Gift Cards on Doordash?
Some big chains of restaurants offer consumers gift cards. They are a convenient way to pay. You can use them to buy food
and they are a valid alternative to cash for purchases. They are also an easy way to send a gift to friends.
So, can you use restaurant gift cards on DoorDash? Unfortunately you cannot use restaurant gift cards to pass an order on
the DoorDash platform, even if the restaurant is a Doordash partner.
Restaurant gift cards can be used directly at stores. Often you can use your gift card for curbside pickup or in store shopping, but you can’t use them via the popular
food delivery apps including DoorDash or Uber
, Postmates, Grubhub or Caviar.
At this point, it is important to understand how Doordash works. Indeed, Doordash is first of all a logistic company. The
concept is really simple:
- Customer orders from a restaurant through the DoorDash website or app and pays the order directly with the
- The restaurant accepts and prepares the order
- A Doordash delivery courier picks up the order (sometimes have to pay in store for your order with a special card) and delivers it to the customer’s doors
- Customer tracks the order directly from the app and gets notifications with progress on the delivery.
DoorDash is a cashless app. You can use
cash only to tip your delivery driver if you are
happy with the customer service.
To pass an order you have to enter one of the online payment methods accepted by the app. Payment methods include:
- Debit/Credit Card
- DoorDash Gift Certificate
So, you pay DoorDash and the restaurants get paid for their fulfilled online orders from DoorDash.
If for example you buy a Chipotle gift card, whether is printable or digital, the funds on the card belong to
Chipotle and are non-transferable. Currently there is no way that Doordash can accept and use the funds on other
food gift cards.
However, Doordash is growing fast and incrementing new features in the app, so stay tuned.