No Name Restaurant, a classic seafood establishment on South Boston’s Fish Pier and the oldest continuously family-run restaurant in the city, will close its doors after more than a century of service.
The two-story restaurant opened 102 years ago, initially as a seafood stand “serving fresh catches to fisherman undocking from a long day,” according to the business’s website. No Name eventually expanded from its original storefront to a restaurant in the 1980s.
“After over 100 years, we had to make the difficult decision to close the No Name Restaurant,” the restaurant said in a Facebook post. “We want to thank our generations of customers for all the years of loyal patronage, and for helping make the No Name a landmark location.”
To our many loyal customers, employees and our longtime community,
After over 100 years, we had to make the difficult…
Posted by No Name Restaurant on Monday, December 30, 2019
The restaurant sits on the edge of Boston Harbor and cooks classic seafood dishes, including a seafood platter, lobster sauté and lobster roll.
Nick Contos, a Greek immigrant, created No Name in 1917 shortly before the outbreak of World War I and a year before Babe Ruth was traded to the New York Yankees, according to No Name’s website. Since its start, the restaurant has remained nameless.
“Nick didn’t name the place, and that name stuck. ‘If it works, leave it alone,’ he said. Since then, the NoName has delivered fresh catches to folks like you who have come from all over the world to enjoy a memorable meal,” the restaurant’s website says.
No Name is one of a slew of older establishments, including Anthony’s Pier 4, that have closed recently near Boston’s seaport, an area that has experienced dramatic growth in recent years.
Luxury apartments and restaurants as well as insurance and pharmaceutical companies have set up shop in the Seaport District in the past two years. General Electric also moved their headquarters to the neighborhood in 2017, and city officials broke ground earlier this year on new Amazon offices expected to open in 2021.
No Name was struggling financially and had filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection, The Boston Globe reported.
“To our employees, many of whom have been with us for decades, we cannot thank you enough — we thank you for your tireless dedication and hard working service,” the restaurant said in its Facebook post. “It has been an honor to be part of your celebrations and your everyday lives for so many years.”