English as a Second Language (ESL)
Learn English for free at Central Piedmont Community College.
What You Will Learn
We help you learn English to help you:
- go to college
- go on to get a high school diploma or equivalency
- communicate with others
- have better opportunities at work
- learn important things about living in the US
- participate in your child’s education
You will not receive college credit for ESL courses. Contact Academic ESL/English as a Foreign Language if you want to earn college credit for English courses. Learn more about options to learn English at Central Piedmont.
Intake and Placement Testing
Intake and placement testing is open from July 11-29 for the fall semester, session 1.
Fall 2022 schedule:
- Session 1: August 15-October 7
- Session 2: October 12-December 9
All class times and locations are subject to availability.
Who Can Enroll
To be eligible for ESL, you must:
- be 16 years or older
- be officially withdrawn from your last K-12 public, private, or home school (if you are under the age of 18)
- not be in the U.S. on an F-1 or J-1 visa
If you are an international student with an F-1 visa or in the U.S. as an “au pair” with a J-1 visa, you are not eligible to take Adult ESL with College and Career Readiness. Contact Academic ESL/English as a Foreign Language if you have an F-1 or J-1 visa or if you want to earn college credit for English courses.