The first step is to determine what level of instruction you need.
If you have little or limited knowledge of English and want to improve your ability to communicate at home, work or school, consider one of the following courses:
If you have little knowledge of English this course is for you. It will help you improve communication at work, with family, or for personal contacts. A textbook is provided for this course.
Introduction to ESL:
If you have limited knowledge of English, this four-part program will help you prepare for further studies of the English language at the college level. Grammar, reading, writing, speaking and listening are taught.
- Level 1A & 1B: Basic pronunciation and vocabulary are introduced. You will learn basic grammar structures and how to write basic sentences and simple narrative paragraphs. Computer software technology and internet assignments are required.
- Level 2A & 2B: Basic pronunciation and vocabulary are presented. You continue the study of basic grammar structures and write simple narrative and non-narrative descriptive paragraphs. Computer software technology and internet assignments are required.
Basic ESL and each level of Introduction to ESL include 36 hours of instruction and cost $336.
Getting Started: Enrolling in Basic or Introduction to ESL
Follow these simple steps:
- Figure out what level of instruction is right for you. IF you are undecided, email Maryam Sheikha at Maryam.Sheikh@raritanval.edu, or call 908-526-1200 x8462. Placement testing is not required.
- Click here see when the classes will be offered.
Advanced ESL Courses
If you have already mastered the fundamentals of speaking and reading English, the College offers advanced ESL courses. These classes will enhance your knowledge of English grammar, reading, writing, speaking and listening. They are designed to prepare you to take college level courses in English.
Courses offered include:
- English Grammar
- English Speaking and Listening
- Reading and Writing
- Accent Reduction and Pronunciation
For a complete listing of advanced ESL classes, click here.
Then follow these simple steps:
- Select a semester: Click on the semester and year you want to attend. Ignore the CE and Youth semesters
- Click Submit
- Select “Engl as a Second Lang Studies”
- You can browse through all the classes or select a specific class
Classes are offered throughout the school year at the College’s main campus in Branchburg. Class sizes are small, averaging 18 students. The cost of the class is based on the number of credits. Click here for a tuition and fee schedule.