Frequently Asked Questions for First-Year Students – Undergraduate Admissions | Binghamton University

What should I do until I start as a new Binghamton student?

Our spring students do a variety of things before coming to Binghamton. Many students
take courses at their local community college or at another four-year institution.
Other students use the fall to study abroad, work, or participate in other enriching
experiences outside the classroom. 

Am I eligible for the Excelsior Scholarship?

To see whether you are eligible for the Excelsior Scholarship in terms of total credits
completed, visit the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) website. 

I want to take classes at another college. How do I do this? 

You will need to consult the other college about which process of applying will be
best for you; in most cases students will apply as non-degree or non-matriculated
students. You cannot be approved through SUNY Cross Registration for the fall semester
because you are not yet technically eligible to register at Binghamton. For more information
consult the SUNY Cross Registration website. 

What courses should I take?

Consider taking courses that fulfill general education (GenEd) requirements. You might
also consider taking an English Composition course. If you have chosen a major, you
will also want to take an intro course (100-level) in that subject. If you aren’t
sure what your major will be, consider taking an intro course to explore a potential
academic direction. Some exploratory classes also meet Gen Ed requirements, but finding
a class that fulfills both isn’t necessary.

Special note about General Chemistry (CHEM 104 or 107): Students interested in majoring in one of our natural sciences majors (biology, chemistry,
biochemistry, integrative neuroscience, Physics BS) or are interested in pursuing
a pre-health graduate program should plan to take CHEM 104 or 107 in their fall 21 semester to
stay on track with the program’s curriculum. Students should review the Chemistry Department website to confirm which general chemistry sequence is appropriate for them. Students who
already have credit for CHEM 104 or 107 from AP, IB or college coursework are the
exception to this advice and should not register for CHEM 104 or 107 again. Follow
our Transfer Equivalency Tables, AP and IB charts to see if you already earned credit for CHEM 104 or 107. 

What are the general education requirements at Binghamton?

General education courses (gen eds) are universal across SUNY campuses. Therefore, if you are taking GenEds
at a SUNY during the fall, they satisfy the equivalent general education requirement
here at Binghamton with the exception of the foreign language requirement. The General
Education categories are: Composition, Oral Communication, Foreign Language, Global
Interdependencies, Pluralism in the U.S., Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Mathematics,
Aesthetics, Humanities and Physical Activity/Wellness.

I took AP, IB, or college level courses during high school. Will they count at Binghamton?

Many of these will fulfill general education and degree requirements. View the  AP equivalency chart, the IB equivalency chart and the Transfer Equivalency Tables to see how these will count toward your Binghamton degree. Be sure to send your scores
to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions after your grades are posted so you can
receive credit for this work.

Are there any classes that won’t transfer to Binghamton?

Binghamton has a very flexible credit transfer policy. In almost all cases, liberal
arts coursework will transfer if you earn a C- or better. Courses that don’t transfer
include developmental courses, duplicate coursework, and skills based coursework such
as business technology classes in desktop publishing or software tools. One-credit
courses designed to help you learn about another college will not transfer.

What courses will I need to complete my major at Binghamton?

You can start thinking about your academic plan by taking a look at your degree program
requirements at Binghamton. Go to the University Bulletin, choose your potential major in the first dropdown box (Undergraduate Fields of Study
by Department) and click the “submit” button.

Undecided about a major? That’s OK! Stick to taking general education courses in topics
that interest you. You’ll receive some great advice from Harpur Academic Advising
when you become a Binghamton student.

How do I transfer my fall credits once they’re completed?

Once your fall coursework is completed, contact the Registrar or Student Records office
of the institution that you are taking classes with. You would then request an official
transcript be sent to the address below. Electronic PDF transcripts are also accepted,
however they must be sent directly by the school to Binghamton University’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions (allow 4-6 weeks from the time that you request the official transcript to the time
that the credits will appear on your academic record). 

I still have questions about my academics. Where can I find answers?

If you have questions about your transfer coursework, contact

If you have questions regarding pre-health or pre-law, you will find a lot of information
in one place on Harpur Advising’s site. 

By using the University Bulletin and the Transfer Equivalency Tables as well as the
resources listed above, you can work with the advisor at the school you’re attending
in the fall to create your fall schedule and set yourself on a successful academic
track for joining us in the spring.