In JCCC’s Interior Design program you learn how to professionally create functional and aesthetic beauty in residential and commercial interiors.
Not only does interior design focus on creating beautiful spaces, but it also promotes client health, safety and welfare where we live, work, eat, sleep and play. If you are looking for an Interior Design program in the Kansas City area, JCCC has a lot to offer you!
What will I learn in JCCC's Interior Design program?
At JCCC, our Interior Design degree is made up of courses covering a wide variety of design topics, including textiles, floral design, systems, and more. Whether you are launching a second career or just starting out, you will get a comprehensive education in:
- Elements and principles of design
- Color design and theory
- Design furnishings, materials, finishes and equipment
- Construction methods, codes and specifications
- Lighting, acoustics and indoor air quality
- Sustainability in design practices
- Manual and digital drafting and interior design software applications
- Space planning, ADA and universal design
- Design presentation and communication techniques
- Kitchen and bath design
- Residential and commercial design
Join other successful JCCC students
At JCCC, interior design is all about options. You can complete a certificate and join the workforce within a year or you can graduate with an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree to open even more doors. With three certificates and an AAS degree, JCCC can help you launch a career tailor-made to your aspirations.
Discover design processes, professional design documents, and best business practices to prepare for your future as a:
- Commercial or residential interior designer
- Interior design project manager
- Sales designer or consultant for interior design showrooms or product lines
- Space planner for homes and commercial buildings
- CAD designer for interiors
- Kitchen and bath designer
- Home stager, color consultant, and/or finishes coordinator
Let professors at Johnson County Community College guide you into this multibillion-dollar industry. With an emphasis on projects that incorporate both the creative and technical, you'll complete the program with an impressive portfolio to showcase your work to potential employers.
The U.S. Department of Labor compiles statistics on Interior Design careers involving interior design. You'll find information specifically related to careers in Kansas, including salary information and job prospects
Download the Interior Design Program Outlook (PDF) for employment projections and salary information.
JCCC is dedicated to ensuring money does not stop a student from pursuing an education. For this reason, we have various initiatives to make the cost of receiving an education more affordable.
Scholarships are available to Interior Design students. Be sure to look for grants and loans, also. Our Financial Aid Office can help you apply for aid.
Here’s what we offer:
- Lower tuition
- Cav Guarantee Scholarship (for Johnson County high school graduates)
- Metro Rate(for Missouri residents in ZIP codes 640- and 641-)
- Kansas Promise Scholarship for Kansas residents
- Easy scholarship application
- Financial aid experts and Free FAFSA advice
Textbooks and supplies vary depending on your classes.
JCCC offers financial aid specifically for Interior Design students. These scholarships include:
- Janet Alhom Memorial Interior Design Scholarship
- Bill and June Bailey Interior Design Scholarship
- IDSA Design Merit Award
- Harris Polsky Interior Design Scholarship
- Jack Harris Interior Design Scholarship
- Kansas City Regional Association of REALTORS Scholarship
The Interior Design AAS degree at Johnson County Community College is an affiliated program of the National Kitchen & Bath Association.