Licence financial services provider

If you provide financial services in the Netherlands, you must have a licence to perform any of the following activities:

  • Giving advice on or mediating in financial products.
  • Advising or taking and passing on orders involving units in collective investment schemes.
  • Managing an alternative investment institution (Alternative Investment Fund Managers, AIFM) and/or offer participation rights in it to investors (application is in Dutch).
  • Offering investment services as an investment firm.
  • Operating as an insurer, mediating in insurances or acting as an authorised or sub-authorised insurance agent.
  • Performing activities as an money transaction office.
  • Performing activities as a trust office.
  • Performing activities as a clearing institution.

You apply for these permits at the Dutch Central Bank (DNB) or the Netherlands Authority for the Financial Markets (AFM). In the last case you can use the AFM Digital portal. A professional liability insurance (beroepsaansprakelijkheidsverzekering) is required, in order to apply for a permit. The Dutch Central Bank supervises most of these activites.

Notifying as a healthcare insurer

If you intend to operate as a healthcare insurer, you must also notify the Dutch Healthcare Authority (Nederlandse Zorgautoriteit, NZa) by submitting a model agreement (in Dutch). The NZa assesses whether the model agreement satisfies the requirements of the Healthcare Insurance Act.