Lifeguard Training |Water Safety Instructor | Lifeguard Instructor
LIFEGUARDS & SWIMMING INSTRUCTORS
The Arlington Public Schools Lifeguarding program offers training in the nationally recognized American Red Cross Lifeguard Program. The course prepares individuals 15 years and older to become professional lifeguards by introducing them to concepts and skills necessary to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies in a swimming pool. Class participants must be 15 years or older before the last class date. The skills taught include water rescue, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), the use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED), and First Aid. Successful participants will receive American Red Cross certification in Lifeguard Training, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid. Because this is a skills based training class, participants must attend all class sessions. There can be no exceptions.
To participate in Lifeguard Training, individuals must be able to:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound brick.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Blended Learning Class: Training sessions will follow the American Red Cross Blended Learning curriculum. Students will be able to complete a fair amount of the class work online by using a hot-link, provided to them after they have successfully completed the Pre-Course session.
Please note: Courses must have a minimum of 8 participants to run.
Course Fee: $50
2021-2022 Class Schedule
Spring Session 1 – YORKTOWN POOL
Saturday April 2nd – 9:30am – 11:30am Pre-course
Monday April 11th – 8:30am – 1:30pm
Tuesday April 12th – 8:30am – 1:30pm
Wednesday April 13th – 8:30am – 1:30pm
Thursday April 14th – 8:30am – 1:30pm
Friday April 15th – 8:30am – 1:30pm
Yorktown Pool Spring Session 2
Sunday April 24th – 9:30am – 1:30pm (includes Pre-Course)
Monday April 25th – 5:30pm – 8:30pm
Wednesday April 27 – 5:30pm – 8:30pm
Sunday May 1st – 9:30am – 1:30pm
Monday May 2nd – 5:30pm – 8:30pm
Wednesday May 4th – 5:30pm – 8:30pm
Yorktown Pool Spring Session 3
Monday May 16 5:30pm – 9:30pm Pre-Course/first class
Wednesday May 18 5:30pm – 9:30pm
Monday May 23 5:30pm – 9:30pm
Wednesday May 25 5:30pm – 9:30pm
Wednesday June 1 5:30pm – 9:30pm
Monday June 6 5:30pm – 9:30pm
No class on May 30th
Yorktown Pool Session 4
June 20 Pre-Course – 9 am/ Class 10 am -1:00 pm
June 21-25 Class 9:00 am 1:30 pm
You may register for Lifeguard Classes using the APS Aquatics Self-Service Portal using the “REGISTRATION” tab or by clicking here.
SWIMMING INSTRUCTORS – HIRING NOW!
APS Aquatics is now hiring new and experienced swimming instructors. Free training is available and placement is immediate depending on qualifications. Please contact Helena Machado at 703-228-6264 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule and interview.