MACEM – MACEM Mid-Atlantic Center for Emergency Management

Independent Study Credit Conversion

In support of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) goals, the FEMA Emergency Management Institute (EMI) offers self-paced online Independent Study (IS) courses free of charge for individuals with emergency management responsibilities and the general public.

The Mid-Atlantic Center for Emergency Management & Public Safety at Frederick Community College (MACEM&PS|FCC) recognizes successful completion of Independent Study courses and awards academic credit for coursework that meets FCC standards.

Get Started

Independent Study Model

Credit Conversion Benefits

Academic credits awarded for FEMA EMI Independent Study courses can be used towards an academic credential, including the Emergency Management FEMA Independent Study program at FCC, or to advance your career by fulfilling job credentials and professional development requirements.

  • Complete online FEMA courses for free at your own pace
  • Acquire critical, relevant emergency management information
  • Earn academic credits or a degree

Credit Conversion Process

Convert FEMA EMI Independent Study courses into college credit through the Mid-Atlantic Center for Emergency Management & Public Safety at Frederick Community College (MACEM&PS|FCC).

NOTE: As of April 1, 2022, students will convert FEMA EMI Independent Study courses into college credit directly through (MACEM&PS|FCC) instead of using

  1. Visit the FEMA EMI Independent Study Program website.
    • Students who have already completed IS courses should check the IS Course List for updates before beginning Step 2.
    • If you wish to take an IS course, ensure that program requirements align with desired student outcomes. Select courses that are available for college credit.

      Complete Independent Study Courses

  2. Complete the Credit Conversion Request Form to order academic credits and an IS official transcript.
    • Credit conversion cost is $90 per credit/semester hour.
    • Academic credit is assigned a ‘P’ for Passing. This is equivalent to a grade of ‘C’ or better and does not factor into calculating GPA.
    • Students are responsible for confirming that college credit will be awarded within their desired academic semester.
    • To earn credit during your desired academic semester, you must successfully complete the IS courses you plan to convert to credit and submit the Credit Conversion Request Form between:
      • Spring 2022: 1/4/2022 – 5/30/2022
        Summer 2022 Semester: 5/31/2022 – 8/19/2022
        Fall 2022 Semester: 8/20/2022 – 1/3/2023

      Credit Conversion Request Form

  3.  MACEM&PS|FCC will process your credit conversion request within 2-3 weeks.
    • Expedited service is not available.
    • Students will receive status updates via email from MACEM&PS|FCC throughout the process.
    • After credits have posted, students will receive an email link to request an official transcript. Transcripts are $5 for electronic delivery or $7.50 to mail.
  4. Consider pursuing an Emergency Management academic program at FCC. Credits earned from FEMA Independent Study courses can be used towards an A.A.S. degree, certificate, or letter of recognition.

    • EMGT Academic Programs at FCC

Need Help?

Meet with the MACEM&PS|FCC FEMA Program Coordinator to ask questions and get help with the FEMA Independent Study credit conversion process.

Credit Conversion 101
Virtual Drop-In Info Sessions
Tuesdays, 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. EST

Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 263 685 5468
Passcode: HzhyL3

Contact Us

Contact MACEM&PS|FCC at or 301.624.2854.

Request More Information

For questions related to FEMA IS courses, please contact the Independent Study Program Office at or 301-447-1200.

For questions related to your FEMA Student ID, please contact the Help Desk at or 866-291-0696.


Frequently Asked Questions

Credit Conversion

How do I know which college credits to select on the Credit Conversion Request Form?
Please choose college credit based on the IS courses you have completed successfully. Note that each FCC course is equal to 1 college credit. FCC courses are identified by the term FEMA followed by three numerical digits XXX. Some of the FCC “FEMA XXX” courses require only one IS course completion while others require a combination of IS course completions.

If you would like a copy of your IS course completions, please contact the Independent Study Program (ISP) Office at 301-447-1200 or ISP Office hours are 8:00a.m.-4:30p.m. ET Monday – Friday, except federal holidays.

Can I submit my credit conversion request over the phone?
No, you must complete the Credit Conversion Request Form online. The form can be found here.

Does the Credit Conversion Request Form have a time limit for completion?
No, it does not.

Once I submit the Credit Conversion Request Form, how long does it take to post my college credit to an FCC transcript?
Validating and posting your college credit takes approximately 2-3 weeks. You will receive a confirmation e-mail from MACEM&PS|FCC once your order has been processed.

I obtained college credit through FCC before. Where can I find my order history?
Your order history will be sent to you via e-mail immediately after each credit conversion submission.

For students who used in the past to convert credit, you can request an FCC official transcript to see a list of all the FCC “FEMA” credits you have earned.

What should I do if I made an error within my credit conversion request?
Please reach out to MACEM&PS|FCC for assistance by e-mailing

Personal Information

How safe is my personal information?
All information is secured using the latest electronic data encryption standards. For further details, please review the Terms and Conditions policy here.

What should I do if my personal or contact information has changed?
Please reach out to MACEM&PS|FCC for assistance by e-mailing

Why do you need my personal information, particularly FEMA SID number, date of birth and gender?
EMI’s Independent Study Program tracks your training record with a student identification number, also known as a FEMA SID. MACEM&PS|FCC will use this information to verify your student record. FCC also asks for your date of birth and gender as a part of necessary information required for granting college credit.


How can I obtain an official transcript of my college credits?
Students may request an FCC official transcript here. Transcripts are $5 for electronic delivery or $7.50 to mail.
Please do not request a transcript until you receive a confirmation email from MACEM&PS|FCC that your credit conversion request has been processed. Transcripts requested prior to receipt of the MACEM&PS|FCC confirmation email will not reflect the courses recently converted. No refunds are provided for requesting transcripts too early.

Will my employer or institution accept an electronic transcript?
While electronic transcripts are widely accepted, confirm with your recipient that they will accept this format prior to ordering. An electronic transcript (secure, certified PDF) is official in its electronic form as long as it is not altered. Each time the file is opened, it will be certified electronically to ensure that it has not been altered. Sending an electronic version to yourself and providing a printed copy of the PDF transcript or forwarding the electronic version may not be considered official.

Does Parchment provide a tracking number?
No. However, you can log in to your Parchment account at any time to track your order by clicking the ‘Order Status’ tab at the top of the page.

What is the difference between the EMI Independent Study Program transcript and the Frederick Community College transcript?
The EMI Independent Study transcript reflects your IS course completion(s) and CEU (Continuing Education Unit) amounts. The FCC transcript details the college credit(s) you have obtained through the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 1007 North Orange Street – 4th Floor, MB #166, Wilmington, DE 19801.

IS Courses

What versions of the Independent Study courses will be accepted towards credit?
The current or previous version of the Independent Study course will be accepted for conversion into credit**

For example, FCC will accept credit for successful completion of IS-230.e (current version) OR IS- 230.d (previous version). Please note that earlier versions (IS-230, IS-230.a, IS-230.b, and IS-230.c) can no longer be used to earn college credit.

**Any annual revision for IS-20, IS-21, IS-107, and IS-246 will be accepted for college credit.

The IS course that I completed is not listed within the Credit Conversion Form. What does this mean?
Not all FEMA Independent Study courses are eligible for college credit. Please reference this guide to assist with the conversion process.

I took an IS course that was available for college credit when I completed it, but I do not see this course listed within the Credit Conversion Form. Can I still receive college credit?
FCC will only grant college credit for IS courses that have been removed from the IS Course List within the current semester. For the Spring 2022 semester, these courses include:

IS-103 = 1 credit (FCC’s FEMA 192)

IS-276.a and IS-277.a = 1 credit (FCC’s FEMA 198)

To be eligible for credit, you must submit your credit conversion request for the FCC courses above by 5/30/22.

When IS course combinations change for an FCC course that I have already been awarded, can I receive additional college credit?
No. The only exception to this rule is IS-394 (retired course) and IS-394.a, which are used to obtain credit for two different FCC “FEMA” courses.


Can a third party pay my college credit fee?
Yes. Simply enter the third-party payment details during checkout.

Does Frederick Community College provide military tuition payment options for academic programs utilizing FEMA Independent Study courses?
Frederick Community College expanded the Veteran’s Administrative benefit eligibility for academic programs utilizing converted FEMA Independent Study courses. This benefit applies only to courses taken through Frederick Community College. It does not cover the cost to convert FEMA Independent Study courses to college credit. For more information, contact the FCC Veteran and Military Services office at 301.624.2838.

College Credit

Are there any age restrictions on obtaining college credits?
Yes. FCC does not award credits to students that are 10 years of age or younger. Students that are between the ages of 11–17 will need a parent or guardian’s signature when filling out the Credit Conversion Request Form.

Does the college credit I earn through FCC transfer to other institutions?
Students are responsible for verifying acceptance of FCC “FEMA” credits by the receiving institution. 

Does the New York City Department of Education still accept college credits for converting IS courses?
NYC DOE requirements have changed for completion dates and semester deadlines. Please check with  the NYC DOE for more information.

What level of credit are the college credits offered through FCC?
Lower-division 100 level credits.

Are CEU’s the same as college credit?
No. You should not compare college credit amounts to CEU (Continuing Education Unit) amounts. CEU’s are determined by IACET. College credit amounts are determined by Frederick Community College.

Technical Support

I am having technical problems with the Credit Conversion Request Form. Who can I contact for assistance?
Contact MACEM&PS|FCC at or 301.624.2854

I am having technical problems with the FEMA EMI website. Who can I contact for assistance?
Please reference EMI’s technical information guide. If you continue to have trouble, you may reach out to the Independent Study Program (ISP) Office at 301-447-1200 or ISP Office hours are 8:00a.m.-4:30p.m. ET Monday – Friday, except federal holidays.