Must dos – Welcome New Students | Binghamton University


Activate your Computer Account

Your Binghamton University Computer Account is used to access all online resources
on campus: housing request form, public computers on campus, Medicat (health forms),
BU BRAIN Self-Service etc. You access your computer account by logging in with your
user ID and password (Pods password). Follow these instructions to log in.

Know Your B-Number

The B-Number is the primary identification number for students. Your B-Number was
sent to you upon receipt of your admissions application to Binghamton. Forgot your
B-Number? Log into the Binghamton portal, , click on the BU BRAIN icon in the top left-hand corner, the select the “Home” tab
and click on “What’s My B-Number?”.

Email Account

If you haven’t already done so, activate your Binghamton University email (BMail)
account today. Complete details were contained in a letter you received upon receipt
of your enrollment deposit and may also be found here.

Your BMail is where we send all official university information, including Orientation and housing
details, required health forms, semester bill, financial aid and more!  

Student ID   

You must upload a photo for your Binghamton University student ID in order to be able to pick it up when
you arrive on campus in February. Your student ID serves are both your room/building
key and your meal plan. You must bring a government-issued photo ID in order to receive
your card (i.e, passport, driver’s license). You will not be given your student ID
without this documentation. 


  • First-year students are guaranteed on-campus housing for spring 2022.
  • You will receive an invitation to apply for housing in October.
  • In December you’ll receive a time slot for room selection which will begin in late

  • Visit the Residential Life website for complete details and timeline about the housing sign-up process

Orientation Registration 

Learn about Orientation! See your Orientation checklist on for more information. 

Final Transcripts Required

In order to complete your enrollment file at Binghamton University, you are required
to submit a final high school transcript. Missing final transcripts may prevent you
from registering for future semester courses and financial aid disbursement. If you
have not already done so:

  • Request your high school’s counseling office to send your final transcript to: Binghamton
    University, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, PO Box 6001, Binghamton, NY 13902-6001.
  • It must include: official signature of school seal, stamp or signature; date of graduation;
    final grades in all subjects; and type of diploma earned.

Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit –Send Scores

  • AP credit —  To receive proper credit for any AP courses taken, contact the College
    Board (888-225-5427) to confirm your scores will be sent electronically to the Admissions
    Office. Test scores of 3, 4, or 5 may receive credit based on the policy established
    by the State University of New York. Click here for more about Binghamton’s AP credit guidelines.
  • IB credit — Credit is awarded only for Higher Level IB exams, with scores of 4 or
    5 receiving 4 credits, and scores of 6 or 7 receiving 8 credits. IB scores are submitted
    to Binghamton University through the International Baccalaureate website. Find out more about Binghamton’s IB credit guidelines.

COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement

All Binghamton students who access campus facilities in person are required to be fully vaccinated before the
start of the spring 2022 semester (Jan. 18, 2022), with limited exceptions. You are
considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 if it’s been more than two weeks after receiving
the second dose in a two-dose series (e.g., Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or more than
two weeks after having received a single-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson/Janssen).

For complete details about the COVID-19 vaccination requirement, visit Decker Health Services online. 

Other Health Requirements 

All incoming students must request health screening and provide documentation of certain immunizations. All immunization records must be submitted by Thursday, Oct. 21 to be able to register
for courses the week of Oct. 25.

Proof of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella, and the submission of a meningitis
response form, are required by New York State law.  Failure to meet health requirements
can affect your ability to remain in on-campus housing, obtain financial aid and register
for classes.

Questions? Contact the Decker Student Health Services Center at 

Health Insurance Requirement: Accept or Waive

Domestic Students

All students are automatically enrolled in the Student Accident and Sickness Plan (University health insurance) unless you waive it.

Read more about student health insurance plan benefits.

International students

International students on F-1 and J-1 visas will enroll in the State University of
New York plan administered through the University’s International Student and Scholar Services office.

Financial Aid

  • Check your financial aid status : View your financial aid offer and accept/decline loans to ensure your spring 2022 financial aid is complete, and your aid will credit your spring 2022 bill.
  • More


    general financial aid information



    Financial Aid Services

Pay Your Bill

Billing: Your spring 2022 E-Bill notification will be sent to your BMail in January with a
due date in February. For more details regarding payment and due dates, visit Student Accounts.

Payment Plan: Binghamton University offers an interest-free, web-based payment plan . A non-refundable enrollment fee of $40 per term is required to activate the payment

Billing Information Access: Only you will have access to your bill unless you make someone an “authorized payer.”
If you’d like your parent(s) or guardian(s) to be able to pay your bill, make sure
you designate them as an authorized payer.  

Don’t see the proper financial aid credit on your bill? Get details >>

Sign up for Direct Deposit for Refunds (students only, not authorized payers)

Refund checks are printed ONLY once a week. Signing up for direct deposit allows you
to have refunds automatically deposited into your bank account and get your money

Step-by-step instructions on how to sign up for direct deposit. 

Binghamton University Dining Services (BUDS)

Binghamton University meal plans provide the ultimate in convenience and flexibility. With your meal plan, you have
the freedom to dine anywhere on campus, anytime you want.

All students living on campus are required by the University to purchase a Resident
Dining meal plan. Students living in residence halls are automatically enrolled in
Meal Plan C,  although there are other meal plans available.

Students living in Hillside, Susquehanna, or off-campus housing may purchase one of
the Commuter/Off-Campus Apartment meal plans. 

Meal Plans are accepted at all 31 dining locations on campus, open from 7 a.m. – 1
a.m. We have a wide variety of food to choose from, including vegetarian, vegan, allergen-friendly,
local, sustainable, B-Healthy wellness options and more!

Your meal plan works just like a debit card; the total amount of every purchase made
at a dining location is deducted from your account balance. You may add Dining Dollars
to your account at any time. Any unspent Dining Dollars at the end of a semester will
carry over to the next semester, provided you purchase a new meal plan. Budget resources
are available to keep track of your balance on our website.

Questions about nutrition, food allergies, or dietary concerns? Contact one of our
two Registered Dietitians, Alexa Schmidt, RD, CDN and Julie Lee, MS, RD, CDN for a nutrition consultation, free of charge! Learn more about nutrition
services here.

Read more about our meal plans and answers to frequently asked questions. 

Interpersonal violence prevention training

Binghamton University is committed to educating all students on interpersonal violence
prevention. It is of the utmost importance that incoming students learn about interpersonal
violence; what it is, how to prevent it, how to support one another, and the reporting
and resources available to students.

Binghamton University provides an online educational tool from Safe Colleges that
is mandated for all incoming students. You will receive an email from Safe Colleges
with a link to begin your online training.

If you have any questions or concerns, contact Health Promotion and Prevention Services
at 607-777-2254 or  


First-year students living in university residence halls are not permitted to register
or park a vehicle on campus.

Local students: Learn more about on-campus parking regulations, including how to purchase a parking permit.

Review/Verify Your Contact Information

  • Log into BU BRAIN Self Service, “Information” tab
  • Verify your contact information (address and emergency contacts)
  • Make sure we have your Social Security Number on file (required for tax and financial
    aid information)

Emergency Alert Contact Information (B-Alert/RAVE) 

Binghamton uses an alert system (B-Alert) that sends text messages to cell phones.
There are two primary ways to register a mobile phone into the B-Alert system:

  • Go to

     and log in with your Binghamton University PODS username and password. Once logged
    in you may enter multiple cell numbers and email addresses.

  • The first time you log into the my.binghamton portal at the beginning of each semester
    you’ll be prompted to enter/verify your contact information for B-Alert. 

  • The system will only be used for emergency purposes and you will never receive any
    messages other than official Binghamton communications

  • Here’s how to add parents and family members who are interested in receiving official
    alerts from Binghamton:

    • Add your parents to your B-Alert account. You may add up to three email addresses
      and three cell phone numbers by clicking on “My Information” and update your information
      under Emergency Alert Notification (Rave Mobile Safety)

    • Download the smartphone application “Alertus +” from the iOS App Store or Google Play
      store. After downloading the app to your smartphone, use the code “balert” to associate
      the app with Binghamton’s emergency alert system.

More information about B-Alert can be found online.

Students with Disabilities

Students who require disability-related services or accommodations MUST contact Services for Students with Disabilities as soon as possible so we can make any necessary arrangements.

Confirmation of Enrollment

You must confirm your enrollment every semester

  • The first week of classes you will be required to confirm your enrollment through the portal at You will receive an email from Student Records (Registrar) reminding you to confirm
    your enrollment.
  • If confirmation of enrollment is not completed, a student’s semester schedule of courses
    is automatically cancelled, freeing up class seats for students looking to add a course.
    Cancellation will occur whether or not a student’s semester bill is paid.
  • Financial aid recipients must confirm enrollment to receive a refund (if applicable)
    and/or to have funds not only credited but applied to pay their student account balance.

Obtain Enrollment Verification/Proof of Enrollment (if needed)

  • An insurance company, scholarship program, loan company or other third party may require
    a student and/or family to show proof of enrollment (also called enrollment verification).
  • Binghamton’s official enrollment verification is offered through the National Student
    Clearinghouse (NSC) one week prior to the start of each semester.
  • To access NSC, log in to BU BRAIN via the portal at
  • Complete details and how-to steps can be found here.