Mystic Depot Roasters Restaurant – Coffee, Breakfast, Lunch – Mystic, CT

After nearly 40 years of service, the New Haven Railroad constructed a new station in 1905. The station is primarily wood on a brown brick base, with Georgian Revival architectural elements such as Palladian windows on the east and west facades. It is clad in wood shingles, which had become popular in New England in the late 19th century due to its rich colonial history. The eastern half of the station was a waiting room for passengers, while the western half was a baggage room with few windows.  The remaining structure of the 1866 station was repurposed as a freight house.

The station was built with a lengthy gabled canopy which stretched both directions along the platform. The canopy was destroyed in September 1938 by the 1938 New England hurricane, which saw sustained winds over 150 mph; the station was severely damaged but repaired. The Mystic Depot station was used as a model for the American Flyer toy train station beginning in the mid-20th century and lasting over 50 years.

1n 1971, the station fell on hard times and into grave disrepair. The structure was in such poor condition it was closed to the public. In 1976, local residents raised $91,000 (approximately $426,000 in 2021 dollars) to repair the structure. Work started in late 1976 and was completed in April 1977.

The station operated as an active station for the next 38 years until it was closed in March 2015, as it was again in disrepair.