It's easy to satisfy your New York pre-licensing course requirement with this fully online course. It takes just a few minutes to register, and you can complete the course at your own pace. You only need a computer or device with internet access and your photo learner permit. If you only have a temporary permit, you will need to wait for your photo permit to arrive in the mail before registering.
Throughout the course, you will need to confirm your identity at multiple checkpoints to meet DMV training requirements. We use two techniques for identity validation: security questions and voice biometrics. You can learn more about identity validation requirements on the FAQs page.
The 5-hour course is divided into nine short modules. Throughout the course, you will learn about:
- Driver safety, including seat belt laws, drowsy driving and staying focused on the road
- Developing safe driving habits that last a lifetime
- Communication between drivers
- Rules of the road, including right of way, taking a turn, lane changes and one-way streets
- Traffic signs and signals
- Defensive driving and emergency stopping response
- Driving over wet, snowy and muddy roads
- Cellphone use and laws
- Taking risks, aggressive driving and road rage charges and penalties
- Drunk driving laws, penalties and consequences of driving while impaired
- Sharing the road with school busses, work zones, motorcycles and emergency vehicles
At the end of each module, there is a short quiz. You will need to score at least 70% to pass each quiz, and you have up to three attempts per quiz.
Due to DMV requirements, you will be locked out of the course and required to re-register if you do not pass a quiz after three tries. If you want to better prepare for the quiz sections, the DMV offers a wide range of free resources and practice tests.
While there is a total of approximately 270 minutes of narrated tutorials, you can break up your course time over several days or even weeks. You have up to 30 days to finish the course after you register.
At the end of the last quiz, you are done! Our system emails your New York 5-hour pre-licensing course completion to the DMV. There is no need to print anything or wait for a certificate in the mail.
Your course completion will remain valid for up to one year. You must schedule an appointment for your road test within one year of passing the course. If you miss the deadline, you will be required to re-register for your pre-licensing course and restart from the beginning.
If you have additional questions about the course, see our 5-Hour Pre-Licensing Course FAQ page.