This is the only paralegal studies program in Miami-Dade County approved by the American Bar Association. The Law Center at Miami Dade College is certified to meet the highest standards in legal education. As a paralegal studies student, you’ll build the necessary skills in procedural and substantive law needed to work as a key member of a legal team.
Located at Wolfson, Kendall and North Campuses, this program features an integrated internship that helps students go beyond the classroom, helping you build professional relationships and gain real-world experience.
"A legal assistant or paralegal is a person, qualified by education, training or work experience, who is employed or retained by a lawyer, law office, corporation, governmental agency or other entity and who performs specifically delegated substantive legal work for which a lawyer is responsible. Paralegals may not provide legal services directed to the public except as permitted by law."
– American Bar Association
The A.S. degree is designed for students who are looking for immediate entry into a career upon graduation. Most discipline courses directly relate to the identified career area. The remaining courses are comprised of general education courses.
As part of this program, you’ll explore a wide range of substantive areas of the law that include:
- Criminal Law
- Civil Procedure
- Intellectual Property
- Wills, Trusts, and Estates
- Family Law
- Real Estate
- Legal Ethics
- Immigration Law
Program Goals and Objectives
Graduates of the Miami Dade College Paralegal Studies Program should:
- have a greater understanding of the paralegal profession as well as its role within the legal community;
- be able to demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills for transactions with clients, attorneys,other paralegal professionals, court personnel, and third parties;
- be able to handle basic legal transactions;
- demonstrate a solid understanding of the basic substantive areas of the law, as well as legal research and writing; and conduct themselves in an ethical and professional manner.
Employment opportunities for paralegals are growing faster than the average for all other occupations. Although the competition in this field can be intense, formally trained paralegals are more likely to obtain employment. As Miami-Dade County’s only American Bar Association approved program, the College is your best option for that training. The numbers speak for themselves. More than 90 percent of The Law Center’s graduates are gainfully employed as legal professionals in fields that include:
- Private practice
- And other areas of the law
The Law Center is conveniently located at: