If you're in the market for auto insurance and hoping to save some money, Progressive offers plenty of ways to do so. In addition to car insurance, Progressive sells coverage for just about every kind of vehicle, as well as homeowners insurance, life insurance, health insurance and much more. Keep reading to see if Progressive has the coverage you're looking for.
ProsConsTransparent pricing with comparisons to other providers Many insurance products are offered through partners, not through Progressive itselfPlenty of useful content to help you understand your insurance optionsLack of search tool on website can make it difficult to find informationWide range of insurance products availableMany ways to earn discounts on premiumsNumerous options for customizing your coverage Progressive Customer Service
6300 Wilson Mills Rd.
Mayfield Village, Ohio 44143
When you think of Progressive Insurance, the first thing that comes to mind is probably Flo, the company's iconic character. But along with a mascot memorable enough to earn her own Wikipedia page, this insurance provider has plenty more to offer.
Founded in 1937, Progressive has been a pioneer in many areas. In 1993, it became the first auto insurer to offer comparison rates and sell policies over the phone; in 1995, it was the first car insurance group to launch a website; and in 1997, it became the first insurer to allow consumers to buy (not just get quotes for) auto insurance policies online.
Ratings of A+ by AM Best, AA by Standard & Poor's and Aa by Moody's Investors Service indicate Progressive is financially stable. As for customer satisfaction, that's not so clear. In 2019, Progressive's customer complaint rate was below the national average, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. However, in J.D. Power's 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study, Progressive's rankings were a mixed bag: The company ranked near or below average in several areas of the country, topped the rankings in Texas, and ranked dead last in New York. If you're trying to gauge how well the company will suit your needs, the best way may be to find out what Progressive customers in your state have to say.
Progressive prides itself on transparency and is so confident in its rates that it offers quotes from other companies along with its own so you can compare. The company also offers plenty of ways to earn discounts on your premiums and customize your policy for your needs. Interested in more than just car insurance? Progressive has coverage for everything from your home and life to your business's tractor-trailers, your Airbnb property, your wedding and your cat's health (just to name a few).
What Progressive Auto Insurance Offers
Progressive breaks auto insurance down into three categories:
1. Coverage for someone else's injuries or vehicle
Liability coverage, required in most states, pays for injuries or property damages to others that you cause while driving. It also covers your legal fees and the other party's medical bills and lost income if they're injured.
2. Coverage for your injuries or vehicle
You'll want your car insurance policy to protect yourself, your passengers and your car. Here are your options:
- Comprehensive coverage repairs or replaces your car if it's damaged by theft, vandalism, hitting an animal, fire or an act of nature. (Nice perk: If you have collision coverage and your pet is injured in an auto accident, Progressive covers your vet bills up to a specified limit.)
- Collision coverage pays for damages to your vehicle if you hit another object, such as a car, tree or mailbox, no matter who's at fault.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage pays for your injuries if you're hit by a driver with too little or no insurance.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage coverage pays for damage to your vehicle if you're hit by a driver with too little or no insurance.
- Medical payments coverage pays for your medical care and/or funeral costs if you're injured or killed in an accident, no matter who's at fault. Medical payments can also cover your passengers' costs. If you or your family members are injured while walking, riding a bicycle or riding in someone else's car, medical payments may also cover those medical costs. Some states have personal injury protection (PIP) instead of medical payments coverage; this offers similar protection.
3. Extra coverages and benefits
You can add the following extras to your auto insurance policy if you like:
- Collision deductible waiver: Progressive will waive your collision deductible if you're in an accident caused by an uninsured driver.
- Rental reimbursement: If you have comprehensive and collision coverage, you can add this coverage to pay for your rental car while your vehicle is being repaired.
- Loan/lease payoff (also known as gap insurance): Do you lease your car or have an outstanding loan for more than the car is worth? If your vehicle is declared a total loss, loan/lease payoff insurance covers the difference between the settlement amount and the amount you owe your lender, up to 25% of your car's cash value.
- Roadside assistance: This pays for covered roadside repairs, assistance or towing services.
- Custom parts and equipment coverage: If you've customized your car with a high-end stereo, navigation system, custom wheels or custom paint job, you may want this coverage to repair or replace those items.
- Rideshare coverage: If you drive for a rideshare service, this insurance helps close the coverage gap that exists when you're logged into the app but haven't yet accepted a trip request. Most rideshare companies' insurance policies provide only limited coverage at this point.
- Deductible savings bank: For every claim-free policy period (six months), this feature subtracts $50 from your collision and comprehensive deductible.
- Auto insurance in Mexico: If you're traveling to Mexico, you'd be wise to get car insurance for the trip. Through a partner, Progressive offers basic, standard and extended levels of coverage for cars, RVs and motorcycles.
Ways to Save With Progressive Insurance
There are many ways to save on your car insurance with Progressive, including loyalty-based discounts, driver-based discounts and discounts for how you buy and pay for your insurance. Discounts are added to your price quote automatically, but not all discounts are available in all states.
- Multi-policy discount: Bundling home and auto insurance could save you more than $1,000, according to Progressive. (Renters and condo coverage are considered "home" insurance.) And discounts on bundling extend beyond car and home insurance: Buy any two types of coverage and you'll receive an average discount of 5%.
- Multi-car discount: Customers who insure two or more vehicles and save an average of 12%.
- Continuous insurance discount: If you've had insurance continuously (even with a different insurer), you can earn a discount. The discount value will depend on the length of time you've continuously been insured without any cancellations or gaps.
- Teen driver discount: It's true, Mom and Dad: Progressive offers a discount for teens 18 and under once you've been a customer for a year.
Getting a Quote from Progressive
You can get a quote from Progressive online, by chat, by phone or by talking to Flo, The Progressive Girl, on Facebook Messenger. Like the idea of having a dedicated insurance agent to help you through the process from quote to claim? You can do it that way too—however, you won't get the same savings you would by purchasing directly from Progressive. Before you get a quote, you can use the Car Insurance Estimator to get an idea of how much coverage you need.
To provide an accurate quote, Progressive asks for your car's make, model and year; whether you own or lease; what the car is primarily used for; and how many miles you drive annually. They'll also want your name, address, age, marital status, education status and employment status. As to your driving experience, they'll ask when you got your driver's license and its status; whether you had any accidents, violations or claims in the past five years; and if you've had auto insurance continuously for the past three years. Finally, they'll ask if you have any other Progressive policies.
Progressive's Name Your Price Tool can help you customize the types and amounts of coverage you want. Just tell Progressive how much you want to pay, and the tool shows you the best coverage options to fit your budget. Don't like the options being offered? You can get more details about each type of coverage and adjust your levels of coverage until you're satisfied. You'll also be shown the recommended levels of coverage for each category—a nice feature that helps keep you from skimping on key coverage in an attempt to save money.
Progressive doesn't just give you a quote—they make it easy to compare car insurance rates by showing you price estimates from other companies, too.
How Do Progressive Claims Work?
Just like getting a quote from Progressive, making a claim is simple to do. You can file claims 24/7, online, by phone or by calling your dedicated agent, if you have one. The quickest way to make a claim is through Progressive's mobile app. Use the app's Photo Estimate feature to submit photos or videos of the vehicle and damage to get an estimate right away.
Progressive suggests gathering the following information before filing your claim:
- Location, date and time of accident
- Name, address, phone number and insurance policy number for everyone involved
- Weather conditions
- Photo(s) of the damaged vehicle(s)
- Copies of police and/or accident reports, if applicable
Depending on your claim, you may work with an estimator, a claims representative or both. The claims rep determines who is at fault based on state laws and the circumstances of the accident. You can choose to simply receive payment for the damages or to have them repaired; if the latter, the claims rep will explain how it works and manage the process. You can use any repair shop you want, but if you choose one in Progressive's nationwide network, your repairs are guaranteed for as long as you own or lease your vehicle.
- Snapshot discount: Download the Snapshot mobile app or install the Snapshot plugin in your car and you'll get a discount immediately if you are a new Progressive customer. Snapshot tracks your driving habits, and your renewal rate will be personalized based on how you drive. Progressive claims Snapshot saves safe drivers an average of $145 annually—though you could end up paying more if Progressive considers your driving high-risk.
- Good student discount: Add a student with a B grade point average or better to your policy and get a discount.
- Distant student discount: Earn a discount if a student on your policy is in college full time, 22 or younger, and lives more than 100 miles from your home.
- Homeowner discount: Even if your home isn't insured through Progressive's network, you'll get an average 10% discount just for owning one.
Discounts for how you shop and pay
- Online quote: Get an average 4% discount for starting your quote online, even if you finish it over the phone.
- Sign online: Just for signing your documents online, you can get an average 8.5% discount.
- Paperless: On top of the discount for signing documents online, there are discounts for going paperless.
- Pay in full: Get a discount if you pay your six-month premium at once.
- Automatic payment: If you'd rather pay monthly, you can still get a discount by setting up automatic payment.
Progressive Perks and Benefits
Progressive offers some convenient features and benefits you may be interested in.
Loyalty rewards: As a new Progressive customer, you are automatically enrolled in the Loyalty Rewards program, and you'll get more benefits the longer you remain insured. Right away, you'll get small accident forgiveness, which means you won't get charged for comprehensive claims under $500 unless they happen repeatedly. After five years—and if you've been accident-free for at least three straight years—you'll qualify for large accident forgiveness, meaning your rates won't increase if you've been in a large accident. Progressive even counts the time you were insured with a prior company and applies that towards your loyalty level.
PerkShare: Progressive customers can get discounts, offers and coupons on everything from motorcycle, boat and ATV accessories to cabin and vehicle rentals, entertainment, restaurant gift cards and more.
Mobile app: In addition to using the Progressive mobile app to file a claim, you can also use it to review and edit policy information; shop for insurance; pay your premiums; view, save, share and store ID cards; and get roadside assistance.
With or without the mobile app, Progressive offers a host of ways to get in touch for customer support or questions, including chat, email, phone and social media.
Do Auto Insurance Quotes Affect Credit?
Before buying car insurance, you should always get quotes from several companies. Progressive's comparison tool provides estimates from competitors, but keep in mind these are just estimates. For the most accurate comparison, you'll need to get quotes from the other insurers.
Rate-shopping for quotes won't hurt your credit score, because an auto insurance quote is considered a soft inquiry. That said, if you have bad credit, you could pay more for auto insurance. Most insurance companies use a credit-based insurance score to calculate your premiums, which is different from your regular credit score. Although credit-based insurance scores have been shown to accurately predict the likelihood of someone filing a claim, the use of these scores is illegal in California, Hawaii and Massachusetts. In Michigan, the use of credit scores to determine rates is prohibited.
Additional Insurance Coverage Offered by Progressive
Progressive can help you get much more than auto insurance. Whether you're looking to protect your health and home, your business or your upcoming vacation, Progressive or its partners can handle just about every insurance need. Most of the products mentioned below are offered by partner companies, and sometimes by companies that are not affiliated with Progressive at all. Before buying, be sure to investigate the insurance company's reputation and financial stability. Here's a rundown of what Progressive can help you find. Not all coverage is available in all states.
Progressive offers insurance for a wide range of vehicles, on land, sea, snow or even sidewalks. You can get coverage for your all-terrain or utility-terrain vehicle (ATV or UTV), boat or personal watercraft, golf cart, motorcycle, recreational vehicle or travel trailer, snowmobile or Segway directly from Progressive, as well as classic car insurance through a network of carriers.
Progressive can help you get everything from health and life insurance on down to cellphone insurance.
- Health insurance: Through partner company eHealth, Progressive can connect you with individual and family health insurance plans from more than 180 insurance providers, as well as dental and vision insurance. You can also get Medicare plans and short-term plans to cover gaps in coverage—say, if you're between jobs.
- Life insurance: Use the Progressive platform to get quotes on up to $1 million in life insurance, including term life, whole life and universal life insurance, as well as "final expense" insurance to cover funeral and hospital costs.
- Umbrella insurance: You can get up to $5 million in additional liability coverage beyond the limits of your auto and homeowner policies directly from Progressive.
- Identity theft insurance: Through partner Experian, you can get 24/7 credit and identity theft monitoring for your family, including the kids.
- Travel insurance: Got a big trip coming up? You can protect your investment with insurance for unforeseen events like trip cancellations, medical expenses due to injury or illness, and lost or delayed baggage. You can also customize your policy with coverage specific to flights, cruises and international travel.
- Pet insurance: Pet insurance options from partner Pets Best include accident and illness coverage, accident-only coverage and wellness coverage to pay for preventive care.
- Phone and electronic device insurance: Insure almost any electronic device, including phone, tablets, laptops, gaming consoles and cameras, against theft, water damage or accidents (like dropping them).
- Wedding and event insurance: Whether you're planning a wedding, a 50th anniversary celebration or a charity event, this plan can help protect against unexpected financial loss. Customize the plan to cover everything from Aunt Mimi slipping and falling on the dance floor to a burst pipe that forces postponing your event. You can even insure your wedding dress, gifts and more.
No matter what "home" looks like for you, Progressive's network of home insurance carriers can help you find an insurance policy to cover it.
- Homeowners insurance: Progressive's standard homeowners insurance covers your dwelling and other structures, personal property, temporary living expenses if your home is unusable, and personal liability and medical coverage if a visitor is injured at your home. Optional coverage includes water damage from backed-up sump pumps and sewer systems; flood insurance; and personal injury insurance, which covers you against accusations of libel or slander or other unusual but expensive lawsuits. You can even get insurance for manufactured and mobile homes.
- Home warranty insurance: Homeowners insurance doesn't cover breakdowns or wear and tear to your plumbing, heating, electrical and other systems; you'll need home warranty insurance for that. If a covered system or appliance breaks down, approved technicians will inspect and repair the problem; if the system or appliance can't be repaired, it will be replaced.
- Condo insurance: Condominium owners can get coverage for their personal property, any upgrades made to the condo, lawsuits and loss of use, as well as personal liability coverage against lawsuits.
- Renters insurance: Renters insurance from Progressive covers your belongings, medical bills and personal liability if someone is injured at your residence, and temporary living expenses if your home is uninhabitable.
- Homeshare insurance: If you rent out your home through a homeshare service, you can get coverage for belongings, liability and medical payments coverage, and add on a variety of specialized coverages, such as loss of income if you can't rent your property due to a covered loss.
Do you own a business? Progressive offers commercial auto insurance directly and provides a wide range of other commercial insurance policies through a network of insurance carriers. Coverage options include:
- Business insurance: Choose from a full range of general business insurance coverage, including a business owners policy (BOP), general liability, professional liability, cyber insurance and workers' compensation.
- Specialized business insurance: Progressive also offers specialized coverages such as liquor liability insurance, employment practices liability insurance, contractors insurance and even coverage for high-risk ventures. Not sure what type of business insurance you need? You can search for coverage based on your industry or profession.
- Commercial auto insurance: Whatever type of vehicle your business uses, chances are Progressive insures it. You can get insurance for everything from your company sedan or delivery van to dump trucks, tractor-trailers and food trucks. Use Progressive's recommendation tool to figure out whether personal or commercial auto insurance is right for your needs.
- Insurance for employees: You can buy workers' compensation insurance to cover employees who are injured or become ill while doing their jobs. Progressive also sells health insurance for employees and their pets, which you can offer as employee benefits.
Is Progressive Auto Insurance for You?
If you're seeking car insurance, Progressive is well worth a look. The Name Your Price Tool makes it easy to customize your policy for the coverage you want at a price you can afford. Seeing comparison estimates from other companies can help you assess how much you can save. Progressive also offers plenty of discounts to reduce your premiums. You'll get the most savings with Progressive if you opt for online or phone service and forgo a dedicated insurance agent—but you do have the option to work with an agent if you prefer.
For those seeking more than just auto insurance, Progressive offers coverage for a wide range of commercial and personal vehicles, as well as umbrella insurance. Through its network of partner carriers, the company can help you find a full spectrum of insurance products, including homeowners, health, term, whole and universal life insurance, and comprehensive business coverage including specialized insurance for many industries and professions. Whether you're seeking an online-focused insurance experience or the personal touch of an insurance agent, Progressive offers something for everyone.
Insurance coverage availability, discounts, limits and other details may vary by state and other factors.