Salesperson Pre-License Education
In order to become licensed as a real estate salesperson by the Real Estate Board, applicants must:
- complete 60 class/clock hours of a Board-approved Pre-License Course (PDF), and
- pass the state and national portions of the examination
Broker Pre-License Education
In order to become licensed as a real estate broker by the Real Estate Board, you must:
- complete 180 class/clock hours of Board-approved Pre-License Courses (PDF), and
- pass the state and national portions of the broker examination, and
- submit verification of experience (actively engaged as a salesperson for 36 of the 48 months preceding application).
Equivalent courses to Board-approved courses offered by an accredited university, college, community college, or other school or education institution may be accepted for broker pre-license education. Each course must be at least 45 class/clock hours or 3 semester hours. Proof of course completion, including a monitored, final written examination, is required for course approval.
You must complete a Real Estate Brokerage course. In addition to a Real Estate Brokerage course, you must complete either:
A) the three Broker-Specific Courses of Real Estate Appraisal, Real Estate Finance, and Real Estate Law; or
B) two of the Broker Specific Courses and one of the following Broker-Related Courses:
- Real Estate Abstracting
- Real Estate Contract Law
- Real Estate Economics
- Real Estate Feasibility Analysis
- Real Estate Investments
- Real Estate Math
- Real Estate Property Management
- Real Estate Property Law
- CCIM designation
- CRB designation
- GRI designation
- SIR/SIOR designation
- Business Law
- Commercial Mortgage Lending
- Land Planning and Use
- Urban Development
NOTE: Courses taken to meet continuing education requirements are not acceptable for pre-license credit in Virginia.
ANY PRINCIPLES OF REAL ESTATE COURSE TAKEN FOR LICENSURE AS A SALESPERSON IS NOT ACCEPTABLE AS A BROKER PRE-LICENSE EDUCATION COURSE.
Original or certified copies of transcripts are required to verify broker pre-license courses.
Chart of Broker Pre-License Education Credit (PDF) for reciprocal applicants from other states.
Important Notice Concerning Coronavirus (COVID-19) – PSI Test Centers in Virginia
- Updates: https://www.psionline.com/important-notice-update-concerning-covid-19-coronavirus
DPOR is now offering another two fingerprint service options; PSI exam sites or Fieldprint services.
- PSI exam sites can provide fingerprint services from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. No appointment necessary – https://www.psionline.com to find a location nearest you.
- Fieldprint offers sites throughout Virginia where license applicants can go to have their fingerprints taken via Livescan.
- To use the Fieldprint service, applicants must schedule an appointment through Fieldprint's website at https://fieldprintvirginia.com/. Learn more about the Fieldprint scheduling process here.
Frequency and Dates of Exam
Deadline for Application
No application deadline.
Allow two weeks for processing of exam application.
Exam Fees (paid directly to PSI)
Johnson City, TN*
*NOTE: Test sites located outside Va. are not able to do electronic fingerprinting.
Questions About Exam Scheduling or Registration?
Contact PSI at (855) 340-3910 or https://candidate.psiexams.com.
Contact the Board office at (804) 367-8526 or REBoard@dpor.virginia.gov.