S.C. DHEC: Food Safety: File a Food Safety Complaint about a S.C. Food Service – Index

File a Food Safety Complaint about a S.C. Food Service

Do you believe food served by a S.C. restaurant or food establishment, or milk, frozen dairy foods, a soft drink or bottled water:

  • Caused you or a family member to become sick?
  • Was unsanitary, or prepared, handled, stored or produced in an unsafe way?
  • Is in some other way endangering public health and safety or violating food safety laws?

If so, you can file a consumer complaint with DHEC by answering the
questions below. We also accept complaints by e-mail, phone, fax or
regular mail. If you would like for us to contact you after we complete
our investigation, make sure to provide your contact information.

File a food safety complaint involving a hospital, nursing home,
treatment center or medical facility in South Carolina.

If you have a complaint regarding a restaurant and COVID-19, please note the following:

COVID-19 is not a foodborne illness and complaints related to the
potential spread of COVID-19 at a restaurant are not enforceable by DHEC.
Please do not use this complaint form for COVID-19
COVID-19 is not spread by eating food handled by a
person that is positive for COVID-19.

If you are a food worker at a restaurant and are concerned about safety
due to potential exposure to COVID-19, please contact the SC Department of
Labor, Licensing and Regulations (LLR). Employees with concerns can file a
complaint online at:

If you have COVID-19-related complaints, call the DHEC Care Line at
1-855-472-3432 between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday-Friday.

Online Complaint

To file a complaint about an out-of-state food businesses, please contact the public health department in that state.