Listen to this article
Pros Cons Coverage for even the most high-risk drivers in 47 states Higher-than-average customer complaints Easy-to-use website Not many discounts available A+ rating from the BBB Customers with a clean driving record
may find a better price elsewhere Focus on low-cost insurance
As drivers, we want the security that auto insurance coverage provides without high insurance premiums breaking the bank. The General car insurance is reasonably priced for some drivers, but not all. In this article, we will look into The General to help you decide if the coverage the company provides is a good match for your car and your wallet.
Whenever you shop for car insurance, we recommend getting quotes from multiple providers so you can compare coverage and rates. In addition to the insurance company you choose, factors such as your age, vehicle make and model, and driving history can affect your premium, so what’s best for your neighbor might not be best for you.
Use our tool above or call (844) 246-8209 to start comparing personalized car insurance quotes from some of the industry's best car insurance providers.
In this article:
The General Car Insurance Overview
- The General is in great standing with many industry leaders, including the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and AM Best.
- The General provides coverage in nearly every state and has options for even the most high-risk drivers, including young drivers and drivers with at-fault accidents or DUIs on record.
- The no-frills website has great functionality to accomplish everything you need.
- The General has a higher-than-average number of complaints, mostly in regard to claims processing and rate increases.
About The General
Headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee, The General began selling car insurance under the name Permanent General Agency in 1963. Since then, the company has simply abbreviated its name to The General and works as a licensed insurance sales subsidiary of Permanent General Assurance Corporation (PGC Holdings) and an affiliate of American Family Insurance.
With more than 50 years of experience, The General holds its own among industry leaders. The company has an A+ rating and accreditation from the BBB, as well as a financial strength rating of “A” from AM Best. The General currently has an above-average complaint ratio of 1.98 (with 1.00 being average) according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
The General markets itself as being able to provide auto insurance policies to everyone, even high-risk drivers with poor credit and/or extensive driving records. The General offers automobile insurance policies in all states except for Massachusetts, Michigan, and New Jersey. Additionally, The General offers Mexico Tourist Auto Insurance Policies through partner companies.
The General Auto Insurance Coverage
Like most auto insurance companies, The General offers required state minimum coverage options for each of its 47 states, plus additional coverage.
- Bodily injury liability: Covers another driver's injuries if the accident is your fault
- Property damage liability: Covers other parties' car/property damage if you are at fault
- Medical payments: Covers your own medical bills in case of an accident
- Personal injury protection: Covers medical and other expenses, such as wage loss
- Comprehensive coverage: Covers damage to your vehicle caused by other sources, such as weather
- Collision: Covers your vehicle’s damages after an accident
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: Covers costs if the at-fault motorist is uninsured or underinsured
Since The General offers high-risk car insurance, SR-22 insurance forms are available as needed. In fact, The General specifically asks about this form during the quote process. This means you can obtain coverage and file your SR-22 in a matter of minutes through The General’s website.
With a focus on low-cost minimum coverage for high-risk drivers, The General doesn’t have the substantial dollar amount coverage options that some other insurance companies do. Bodily injury liability coverage caps out at $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident, and property damage liability caps at just $100,000 per accident. Some other insurance companies offer as much as $500,000 in liability per accident, so shop around if you feel you need higher coverage.
Remember: No car insurance provider covers manufacturer defects or part failures. If you want this type of protection, you might be looking for an extended car warranty.
The General Insurance Perks
The General auto insurance policies come with some great benefits, including:
- 24/7 roadside assistance, including battery jump start and gas delivery
- Towing coverage (up to 15 miles or $50)
- Rental car reimbursement for up to 20 days (amounts depend on vehicle)
- Deductible waiver for windshields and window glass
- Coverage for custom equipment, aftermarket parts, or other additions (up to $5,000)
Other Insurance From The General
Besides auto insurance, here are a few of the other types of insurance The General sells through third-party companies::
- Home insurance (homeowners and renters)
- Pet insurance
- RV insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Life insurance
- Boat and personal watercraft insurance
- Health insurance
The General Car Insurance Cost And Discounts
It’s difficult to find specific prices for The General car insurance through the company’s website, because car insurance rates ultimately depend on a driver’s location, age, driving record, vehicle, and coverage choices. The General auto insurance reviews we have seen place the provider’s rates in close competition with other companies.
The General doesn’t offer multi-policy discounts because it only provides car insurance. But the provider does have an array of other great insurance discounts:
- Homeowners: This discount is available to any customer who owns a home.
- Multi-car: This is offered to customers who insure multiple cars with The General.
- Double deductible: This optional discount doubles the deductible for comprehensive and collision coverage for the first 45 days of a policy, which also reduces the plan cost.
- Paid in full: The General offers a discounted rate for paying the premium for a year instead of in monthly payments.
- Previous insurance: If you switch to The General from another insurance company, The General will discount your rate.
Good student discount: This discount is available to students with good academic standing.
The General Insurance Reviews
As we previously mentioned, one issue with The General auto insurance is an above-average amount of complaints from customers. A number of these complaints cite regular rate increases and slow claims processing. With that being said, other customer reviews praise the quick quotes process and low rates, so it would seem customers have varying experiences across the board.
Here are a few reviews of The General that stood out to us:
Positive Reviews Of The General Insurance
“Really easy and quick! My quote went down even more as I went through the process, making them the cheapest I had found! We got a one-year quote and locked in even cheaper than a six-month quote from other competitors!”
– Minnie C. via Trustpilot
“Wow, I’m surprised [by] how cheap it is compared to the others I looked over. This had the best deal and most affordable rate even with accidents and speed tickets!”
– Said via Trustpilot
Negative Reviews Of The General Insurance
“I paid for a year policy. Paid the whole thing off so I wouldn't have a bill for a year. After three months, they are billing me again with an outrageous raise in my rates and nothing has changed.”
– Aubrey S. via BBB
“Yeah, they have cheap insurance and will insure anybody, but when you have an accident, they do nothing to help you. My daughter got [rear-ended] by somebody with a suspended license and totaled her car, and The General has done absolutely nothing to help her. No rental. No help with medical. No help going after the other person's insurance company… So while they have cheap insurance, they won't do anything for you if you get in an accident.”
– Robin F. via Trustpilot
The General Car Insurance Rating: 3.8 Stars
We rate The General 3.8 out of 5.0 stars. High-risk drivers can find good coverage with the provider in most states, including SR-22 coverage. But according to The General insurance reviews, coverage can be expensive and the claims process difficult to navigate.
Unlike most insurance companies, The General offers some unique perks like Mexico tourist auto insurance policies and custom parts coverage. The mobile app provides a lot of convenience with 24/7 access to products and services. But because insurance rates can be steep, we always recommend you compare rates and reviews between multiple car insurance companies before selecting your insurance products.
Use our tool below or call (844) 246-8209 to start comparing personalized car insurance quotes:
Other Top Car Insurance Providers
We recently researched top car insurance providers across the country and compared them in terms of products and services, pricing, and overall customer satisfaction. Based on that research, here are a few of our top recommendations for auto insurance.
Geico Car Insurance Rating: 4.6 Stars
Geico auto insurance is one of the largest car insurance companies in the country, largely thanks to its extensive online resources and well-developed smartphone app. In fact, Geico is one of the only insurance companies that offers 24/7 service for every aspect of your car insurance policy.
Like The General, Geico offers coverage for high-risk drivers. However, if you’re a high-risk driver, you’ll likely pay more for Geico insurance. Geico charges significantly higher rates for young drivers and drivers with substantial records than drivers in good standing. This is likely because Geico offers multiple discount incentives for safe drivers and drivers who don’t file insurance claims.
Also like The General, Geico gives customers the option to instantly file claims through the company’s smartphone app. Unlike The General, Geico actually offers accident forgiveness and rate decreases for dedicated customers.
If you’re looking for affordable car insurance with great online management tools, Geico might be a great option for you.
To learn more, read our full Geico review.
AAA Car Insurance Rating: 4.1 Stars
Although AAA car insurance is mostly known for its auto club memberships, the company also offers car and homeowners insurance. AAA has fairly affordable rates that compete with many other car insurance companies.
Unlike The General, AAA holds high marks for customer service and claims. The only drawback is that you must be a AAA member to be eligible for insurance through AAA. However, membership doesn’t cost much. AAA members receive free roadside assistance, repair discounts, travel perks, and more. So it may be worth considering AAA car insurance if you want this membership or already have a AAA membership.
To learn more, read our full AAA insurance review.
The bottom line is that comparing car insurance quotes can save you many and give you peace of mind that you are getting the best coverage. Enter your zip code in our tool below or call (844) 246-8209 to start comparing personalized auto insurance quotes.
FAQ: The General Car Insurance
No, American Family Insurance acquired The General in 2013.
Yes, The General is a licensed insurance sales subsidiary of Permanent General Assurance Corporation (PGC Holdings) based in Nashville, Tennessee. It is also an affiliate of American Family Insurance.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles: