The Hartford is primarily known for offering insurance coverage to AARP members. However, the Hartford also has a strong community presence with its human achievement and sustainability programs, making it an appealing company for policyholders looking to give back.
Founded in 1810, The Hartford has a long history of meeting the insurance needs of its policyholders. Whether you are in the market for home, auto or business insurance, you may want to consider getting a quote from The Hartford.
The Hartford car insurance
The Hartford offers industry standard car insurance coverages to allow you to build a policy that fits your needs. Coverages include:
- Medical payments: Helps cover medical expenses resulting from an accident.
- No-Fault Insurance/Personal Injury Protection: Covers the medical bills of you and your passengers, regardless of who caused the accident. It can also cover lost wages and other bills that may accrue due to an injury, such as the fees for someone to do household tasks if you are unable. PIP is typically a coverage found in “no-fault” insurance states.
- Comprehensive and collision: Helps cover the cost of damages to your car resulting from an accident or theft, fire, windstorm and hail.
- Full glass: Repairs or replaces damaged glass on your vehicle with a $0 deductible.
- Towing: Helps pay for emergency roadside assistance.
- Rental car expense: Pays for a rental car, up to your coverage limits, if your vehicle is in the shop due to a covered loss.
- Bodily injury: When you are at fault for an accident, this helps cover any medical expenses to drivers and passengers in the other car/cars.
- Property damage liability: When you are at fault for an accident, this helps cover any costs related to property damage caused by your actions. This is most often damage to the other party’s car, but can also include damage to belongings inside that car or damage to objects that you hit, such as poles or mailboxes.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist bodily injury: Pays for your medical bills when you and/or your passengers are injured by a driver who does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance to cover your damages.
- Uninsured motorists property damage: Pays for the damages to your vehicle and property when you are hit by an uninsured driver.
- Gap insurance: If you have a loan or lease on your car, this coverage helps to pay the difference between your car’s actual cash value and the financed amount in the event of a total loss.
Cost of The Hartford car insurance
Before obtaining a quote, it may be beneficial to know the average annual cost of car insurance from The Hartford, so you can see how your premium compares.
Average annual cost for minimum coverage
Average annual cost for full coverage
The Hartford’s average rates are higher than the national average car insurance rates of $1,674 per year for full coverage and $565 per year for minimum coverage. However, those higher costs can be offset with The Hartford’s range of discounts.
The Hartford offers discounts to policyholders to help lower the cost of insurance. Discounts include:
- Vehicle safety discounts: If your car has an anti-theft device and/or air bags, you may qualify for a discount.
- Driver training discount: If you take an approved driver training course, you may receive a discount on your auto insurance policy. These discounts only apply to drivers under 21 years of age (25 in Georgia).
- Good student discount: If you are a full-time student in high school or college and between 16 and 25 years old, you may qualify for a car insurance discount if you maintain a certain GPA or letter grade average.
The Hartford homeowners insurance
If you have auto insurance with The Hartford, it may be worth getting a homeowner’s insurance quote as well. Not only will it be easier to manage both policies with one company, but you may qualify for a discount on your auto and homeowners premiums by having both policies.
The Hartford’s homeowners insurance coverages include:
- Dwelling coverage: Helps cover the price of your home and the structures attached to it, such as attached garages.
- Other structures coverage: This covers structures that are not attached to your home, such as sheds and fences.
- Personal property: Helps cover the costs of your personal property, such as furniture, clothing and valuable possessions.
- Loss of use: If you cannot live in your home due to damage, this helps cover the cost of other living expenses.
- Liability: This coverage provides protection if you are found liable for injuries incurred by non-residents on your property or damage to another person’s belongings.
- Medical payments: Helps pay the medical bills if someone is injured on your property, regardless of negligence.
Cost of The Hartford home insurance
The average homeowners insurance premium with The Hartford is $1,730 annually for a $250,000 dwelling. This is higher than the national average premium for a home of that value, which is $1,477 per year. However, just like with auto insurance, The Hartford helps policyholders offset this cost with discounts.
The Hartford offers several homeowners insurance discounts, including:
- Auto & home bundle discount: Bundle your home and car insurance to save up to 5% on car insurance and 20% on home insurance.
- Home security system discount: Having protective devices, such as burglar alarms and sprinkler systems, installed on your home may help you save money on your home insurance.
- Retiree credit: If you work fewer than 24 hours each week, you may qualify for this discount.
- Claims free discount: The longer you go without filing a claim, the higher level of discount you may qualify for.
The Hartford ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
The Hartford auto insurance received a rating of 888 out of 1,000 in the 2020 J.D. Power U.S. Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction Study, ranking in the fourth place spot. With nearly 46,000 reviews on its website, The Hartford auto claims service was ranked an average of 4.8 out of 5 by its customers.
For home insurance, the company received a score of 832 out of 1,000 from J.D. Power in the 2020 U.S. Home Insurance Study, ranking fifth. More than 17,000 customers ranked The Hartford’s home claims service an average of 4.7 out of 5.
The Hartford also received an A+ rating from AM Best for financial strength, meaning that the company is financially stable and more likely to be able to pay out claims in the event of large-scale losses.
Reasons why The Hartford is a great option
If you are an AARP member, The Hartford may be a great place to start your insurance search. For those 50 and older looking to save without sacrificing great customer service, The Hartford can deliver. Its coverage options combined with its discounts makes it a great option for those in the company’s target audience. And if you are retired or have students as a part of your policy, the retiree credit and good student discounts could help you lower your premiums. With top reviews from thousands of customers who have gone through The Hartford insurance claims process, The Hartford can be trusted to be there for you when you need it most.
Although The Hartford’s average auto and home insurance premiums are higher than the national average, the available discounts may make up for the premium difference. Additionally, because everyone’s insurance situation is different, the premium you pay may be higher or lower than the average, depending on your unique rating factors.
Additional policies offered by The Hartford
In addition to car and home insurance, The Hartford also offers:
- Classic car insurance
- RV insurance
- All-terrain vehicle (ATV) insurance
- Golf cart insurance
- Snowmobile insurance
- Boat insurance
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Flood insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Business insurance
- Small business insurance
- General liability insurance
- Workers’ compensation insurance
Looking to save money on auto insurance?
Compare rates & save
Frequently asked questions
How do I get a Hartford Insurance quote?
It is easy to request a quote from The Hartford insurance company. Get a quote online, call the company directly or find a local independent agent.
How do I file a Hartford Insurance claim?
You can file a claim online or on the phone and The Hartford customer service will help you every step along the way. If your policy is serviced through an independent agent, you can likely also file a claim by calling your agent.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- Bodily injury liability per person: $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverages that meet each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2019 Toyota Camry, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $250,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $25,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $125,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $50,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes will differ.